Hi, welcome back to my blog, this week I am going to talk about Fire Safety, the importance of fire safety and preparedness in the home should never be underestimated

We heard about a young boy who, after being told twice to put his book down and go to sleep, covered the bedside lamp with a t-shirt so that he could continue reading undetected. Fortunately for him and his family, he was still awake when the shirt started smoulder, his father was alerted by the smell of smoke. In this case the house had its own resdinetial sprinkler system. But what if that young boy had already fallen asleep, is he any different to your children? What if the family didn’t live in a home with a modern fire protection system? What can families do, to maintain fire safety in the home?

Placing a piece of cloth or paper over a lampshade is one of the five most common causes of electrical fires. The list advises against several other common household mistakes:

  • Using appliances with frayed cords;
  • Using a bulb with a wattage that is too high for the appliance;
  • Using appliances with out-dated wiring;
  • Remind children to stay at least three feet away from fireplaces, stoves, and other heating elements.
  • Test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms on a regular basis.

It’s also important to make sure everyone in the home knows what to do in case of a fire. Teach your kids basic fire safety tips, like staying as low to the ground as possible, touching a door to see if it’s hot before grabbing the doorknob, and knowing at least two ways out of every room in case of an emergency.

……….. ‘Til the next time Greg